Spong trees (dubbed “fromagers” by the French owing to their enormous roots that brought to mind an oozing camembert) have invaded this temple erected in the late 12th century under Jayavarman VII (dedicated in 1186). Its original name was Rajavihara, the royal monastery. It features a set of concentric galleries with corner towers and gopuras, with additional buildings and enclosures. Initially kept more or less in the state it was when discovered in the 19th century, the temple is selected to provide visitors with a romantic vision of ruins, especially due to the spectacular trees. But, in order to avoid damages to the monument and to ensure safety for a huge amount of visitors, consolidation and restoration works were performed. Apart trees gripping the temple, do not miss to visit the Hall of Dancers and to admire many fine pediments, almost with Buddhist images.
- TA PROHM KEL
- TA NEI